September News & Updates
With days getting shorter, the leaves changing color, and chillier mornings, Fall is finally in the air. Autumn is Sun Valley’s best-kept secret, as any local will tell you. Crowds begin to dwindle and town begins to quiet down before the snow flies. It’s a perfect time to reset, enjoy the outdoors and off-season specials, and get ready for the upcoming ski season (only 63 days left till the resort opens, but who’s counting). Make the most of this fall by enjoying all of the local events and activities that our special mountain town has to offer.
Photo: Regan Babst
Top 5 Fall Activites
1) More mountain biking! Ahh, fall! It really is the best season for mountain biking – not too hot, not too cold, and tacky dirt. Start your day off exploring the trails at Galena and end your ride with breakfast or lunch at Galena Lodge.
2) Immerse yourself in the arts. There is no shortage of opportunities for workshops, library talks, lectures, live music, films, and art classes around town this month. For details and a complete list, visit https://visitsunvalley.com/events-calendar
3) Volunteer! Fall is an excellent time of year to give back to your community. Every Saturday and Wednesday during the month of September, you can “Volunteer for Veggies.” Exchange an hour of your time at Bloom Community Farm for a share of fresh fruits and veggies harvested right on site. Gather your family and friends for a rewarding day spent in the dirt.
4) Go hiking and soak in some Vitamin Yellow. Leaves are changing and the aspen groves are calling your name. Take a hike around town to view some of the valley’s changing colors. Some SVA favorite fall hikes are Proctor, Fox Creek, and Chocolate Gulch.
5) Try all the Fall drink specials. Try all the fall drink specials around town. Not all fall-themed lattes are created equal! Experience different takes on fall at Hank+Sylvie’s with their “Witches Brew” made with Waterwheel Gardens Apple Cider and homemade chai, Maude’s Coffee and Clothes for locally roasted Maps coffee, or Java on Fourth for a local favorite, the ‘Bowl of Soul’.
What’s Happening in the Wood River Valley
1.86 miles with over 3,000 vertical feet – Do you have what it takes? Come out to compete against the fittest of the fit in the race to the top of Baldy. The course starts at the bottom of Warm Springs and makes its way to the summit of Bald Mountain (9.020 ft). This year they are adding the Baldy Bike Hill Climb as well as the Cheeso Double where competitors will do the running portion as well as the biking race. Are you willing to put your body to the ultimate test? There’s still time to train! Visit www.baldyhillclimb.com for more information.
Trailing of the Sheep Festival
October 10-14 | All Day
Trailing of the Sheep 22nd Annual Festival. You won’t want to miss this incredible event from October 10-14. Trailing of the Sheep is a celebration of sheep ranchers and herders as well as an educational event for all ages. Visit http://www.trailingofthesheep.org for more information.
Sun Valley Jazz & Music Festival