April News & Updates
Spring is officially here with longer days, warmer temperatures, slack-specials, and corn skiing. Spring brings juxtaposed weather patterns, so you will likely find locals ready for any activity, with over-packed cars full of sporting equipment – think skiing, hiking, biking and fishing.
In these quieter months, locals tend to let their colors show in true mountain town fashion. With the recent Gelande Quaffing event behind us and the end-of-year party straight ahead, there’s no shortage of costumes and camaraderie to celebrate a great season. Whether you après at the base of Warm Springs or in the Greyhawk Parking lot, it’s a true Sun Valley right of passage to toast to another fantastic year with your ski buddies. Once the mountain closes, town reboots and prepares for summertime.
For now, as we take a breath after a busy season and prepare for the next, we consider spring to be a time for renewal and revitalization for our community.
Photo: Sun Valley Resort
Top Five Ways to Enjoy a Sun Valley Spring
1. Earn some spring turns. Stay local, or head north – you’re bound to find a skin track that will help you get your last winter fixes.
2. Hangout at the North Shore of Bald Mountain, aka Warm Springs. Enjoy a beer while soaking in the sun at Warm Springs Lodge or Apples. Après-ski festivities will be going on each weekend until the mountain closes.
3. Spring cleaning: nothing like a little re-organizing after our gear-intense winters. Put away your skis and tune up your bikes!
4. Can you say “Slack Specials”? Get foodie discounts while supporting local restaurants.
5. Enjoy the longer days! Trails are drying out, the bike path is almost clear and it’s a great time to reconnect with your pooch and enjoy some Vitamin D.
What’s Happening in the Wood River Valley
April 13-14 All Day | Bald Mountain
Get out to the remodeled Warm Springs Day Lodge for the Baldy Bash with killer spring skiing and riding, a street party with live music by Andy Frasco and Casey Kristofferson, and a barbeque on the patio. Come for the skiing and stay for the party
The Humming Bull Finals
April 18 | 6-8 pm | Whiskey Jaques
The Valley Premiere Story Telling Competition. Theme provided, bring a story, keep it under 6 minutes, the crowd judges you, and everyone has a good time. Tons of raffle prizes and a 15-day ski pass for the best story of the competition. Call 208-720-1822 or email Office@idahobasecamp.org for more information.
Easter Egg Hunt
April 19 | 4-7pm | Sun Valley Village
Grab the kiddos and head down to the Sun Valley Village for one of the biggest Easter Egg Hunts around, with over 5,000 eggs! The hunt will begin at 5:00pm sharp and the Easter bunny will be present for photos beginning at 5:15 pm. Age groups will be divided into zones for “little ones”. Please bring your own basket.
Après Ski Live Music: Powdersteering
April 20 | 2-5pm | Warm Springs Lodge
No cover charge
Bald Mountain Closing Weekend
April 20-21, 2019 | Bald Mountain
Grab your best costume, bring your smile and get ready to send off the 2018-2019 ski/snowboard season on Bald Mountain! Come for the skiing, stay for the party!
The final day of Bald Mountain will be April 21st, 2019