August News & Updates
The dog days of summer are here. We’re feeling slightly cooler temperatures and a slower-paced lifestyle on the horizon, but before we say goodbye to summer there are still so many quintessential events to enjoy! While the weather remains a perfect 70 degrees this month, you can find an abundance of festivals, concerts, and farmer’s markets around town to enjoy. You can also ride the gondola (or hike) to the top of Baldy to take in Sun Valley’s picturesque views and world-class terrain. If you’re up for a challenge, there is still time to train for Rebecca’s Private Idaho too! However you spend these last weeks of August, we hope you have a blast.
Photo: Sun Valley Resort
Top Five Ways to Make Summer Last in Sun Valley
1. Get the most out of our trails. It still stays light out till a decent hour through September, so there’s plenty of time in the day to get out there!
2. Go to the lake. After work. Yes, we gave away the best-kept secret. You have time to go North in the early evening (i.e. no crowds) and squeeze in the best hours of the day.
3. Enjoy a good “deck sit” in town. After you’ve spent the day hiking / biking / fishing/ etc. post up on one of the many patios in town. – you’ll probably catch some live music while you’re at it!
4. Jump into a water hole. After a hot day, nothing brings you back to childhood like taking a swim in the river.
5. Sleep under the stars. Take the family on a camping trip somewhere you haven’t been and enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery this country has to offer, right here in our backyard. Just bring extra layers for those chilly summer nights!
What’s Happening in the Wood River Valley
Sun Valley Music Festival
Various days throughout August
Picture yourself drinking rosé (or an IPA) on a blanket surrounded by your community on a gorgeous sunny evening as the sun sets listening to world-class music, all for free. Don’t miss this summer staple series! Visit the SV Symphony website for more info.
Sun Valley on Ice
August 24 & 31
No one does skating like Sun Valley! Every summer, Sun Valley on Ice delivers an original season of summer ice shows highlighting new stars and impressive athletic routines. Running Saturday nights through Labor Day, featuring an all-star lineup of some of the world’s finest skaters. Enjoy the show from rink-side seating – so close you can feel the coolness of the ice!
Rebecca’s Private Idaho
August 29 – September 1
Rebecca’s Private Idaho is your ticket to the wild, rugged Idaho that few people know. Ride 100 miles with mountain bike endurance champion Rebecca Rusch on grueling gravel roads, through canyons, over summits, and across high mountain basins. Visit the website to learn more
August 30 – September 1
Enjoy a weekend full of activities, along with the largest non-motorized parade in the Pacific Northwest. Wheels, wagons and western cowboys combine with marching bands and Basque dancers to make this a lively, colorful event. As the parade ends, we roll from the past into the present with live music at the Street Party on Town Square.